« What Do You Eat? | Main | I Lost A Friend »

July 27, 2007

When Bad Kale Happens to Good People

I never understood why people didn't like raw kale. Not until a few weeks ago when the gentleman who works at the restaurant in Scranton at the hotel where I eat most of my meals started giving me kale from the kitchen.

I was so very appreciative of his special effort to bring me kale, since he knows I love it. But this kale, manufactured to be garnish, is awful. Even when it's fresh, it's just bitter and tough and not kale-esque at all. With kale like that, who needs radicchio? Ick. If that was my only taste of kale, I'd hate it too.

I eat organic kale: usually the big green leafy kind, but also purple/red kale and dino kale. Dino kale is very entertaining and really does look like my vision of dinosaur skin.

Thanks to my new commenter for pointing out this Eat More Kale site. Sounds like MR may need a new t-shirt...

My vacation starts today, as I am taking the afternoon off, so I was up at three in the morning finishing work that has to be done before I can leave. I'm not going anywhere, just cleaning out my closets and then my father and step-mother are coming to town to visit for my birthday at the end of the week!

This afternoon my friends are taking me out to lunch and then to the spa for a facial! We're all getting facials or massages.

I can't believe I am actually going to have a vacation. I may fall over dead. Wait, I can't do that, I'm a life-extensionist!

And in Februrary or March, we're making a trip to Big Cat Rescue! Me and my mom and our friend Lisa, that is. Not MR. He's got all the cat he needs over at Little Cat Rescue, aka our house.

Posted by april at July 27, 2007 7:47 AM

Comments

One thing I notice about good kale is that it has a wonderful almost grape-like musky aroma. Russian Kale from a local farm = love.

Posted by: Melissa at July 27, 2007 9:21 AM

Ornamental Kale, while still edible, is bred/cultivated to be tough, withstand even very chilly Canadian autumns (never mind salad bars!)and have pretty colours. I suspect the restaurant uses whatever is available from their supplier. Maybe in future, tear off a tiny piece and taste it before you accept his kind offering! BTW, what you describe is how even good kale tastes to me. :-)

Posted by: Judith at July 27, 2007 10:05 AM

I want some Kale!!!!! I never hade them, not even saw them, I am from Braazil (no kale) and now i live in germany (no kale), i love collard greens, are their taste comparable to kale?
And I think this is so unfair because there are no fat freee ricotta or cottage cheese here, no kale and if i want some eggwhites (which i dont due to met-something) i have to do something with the yolks (no chance buying just the whites, and i dont have courage to buy not "happy" eggs)

So, April please help me, what can I have as proteins? We have Quorn here but they are so expensive i can't have everyday. There is Tofu, but there is dementia, there is non fat milk, but they have so much carbs that it is already balanced, so in the end i always have fish and chicken breast. Do you have any better idea?

And, btw, I love your blog (and Saras and Robins) i learned so so much with you, you have no idea, so thank you thank you very much, and I hope you live forever (while i am alive) to keep teaching me so many things.

Posted by: Julia at July 27, 2007 6:26 PM

I got my 4-year-old to try kale by introducing her to the dino variety. She loved the texture of it.

Posted by: Robin at July 28, 2007 3:37 AM

I find the best treatment for kale, plate garnish or fresh from organic farm, and for most uncooked greens (even lettuce), is to chop it very finely. I'm a big fan of super-chopped salads with all manner of finely chopped veggies, nuts, beans and flax seeds (sometimes I add whole grains and/or wheat bran also). I make a dressing of olive oil, organic sweet white miso, fresh-squeezed lime juice, a bit of apple cider vinegar, a bit of maple syrup, fresh garlic chopped, herbs and spices to taste. No added salt. Because the veggies and greens are all such small pieces they take the dressing flavor beautifully and you feel like you're eating a big, very flavorful, savory meal. Very satisfying.

P.S. I'm determined to find some Quorn today. I went on their site and found a few stores not too far from me where they say they carry it. Very eager to try it. Finally.

Posted by: Cori at July 28, 2007 5:27 AM

Have a wonderful vacation. You certainly deserve it! I know you'll have a great time. facial and massage. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'll be checking out that kale site.

;-D

Posted by: Deborah at July 28, 2007 7:42 AM

That's why I switched to spinach. The kale in Roswell is ornamental (plus the checkers don't know what lettuce is) but the spinach is palatable (and in Wal-Mart, they sell frozen [collard] greens). When you do self-checkout at the grocery with kale, and you have like four bunches stuffed in a bag, they don't even give you the option for quantity. They just assume you've bought one. Because, while it's obvious why you'd buy four tubs of ice cream, like, why would you want to buy so much ornamental leafery? It's retarded.

Posted by: allswellinhell at July 28, 2007 1:33 PM